Thread: 64 bit OS..
View Single Post
Old 22.07.2009, 03:17 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynth View Post
but the question is which benefits would it bring to use vc in 64 Bit mode?

VC is not a sampler which needs lots of RAM, and as i said you can make a plugin 64 Bit Processing also in a 32 Bit OS

i´m shure access would bring out a 64 bit version but only if it really would make any sense
There are many advantages to running on a 64 bit platform, and the ability to use >6gb is only one of them.

Fact is, many machines coming out now are 64 bit. Windows 8 will be 64bit only. Sooner or later, all 32 bit software will be antiquated, just like 16 bit.

Also, think about it. No one JUST runs VC. I run my host system (ableton) with rewire from Renoise and Reason. I also use other plugins. I also do a lot of video editing. It makes most sense for me to run these systems under 64 bit - It's MUCH faster. If I want to use the VC plugin, I have to boot into windows xp 32 bit mode. I believe you will see more and more professionals demand 64bit compatibility for all their software.

I understand what you mean though. One nice thing about the TI, is it offloads a lot of processing. But even my UAD-1 powered plugins card from Universal Audio has 64 bit drivers.

At the same time, I'm willing to give Access all the slack they need. VC is a great piece of software that goes with a great piece of hardware. Converting the drivers to a 64 bit platform will take time and resources on their part, undoubtedly.

Last edited by zeno : 22.07.2009 at 03:37 AM.