View Single Post
Old 21.07.2013, 07:58 AM
Pro
Pro

Nipples and knobs!

Is that "seeming like it's bred for the PC" nature of the UN both with and without use of Automap? Like you, I have the Novation Remote SL61Mkii or variation of thereof keys, and although I really like *most things* about this controller, I do not like the fact that just because I choose to use "Advanced" rather than Automap, that then I am left with some buttons and such that are obviously only hardwired to Automap rather than ALL being freely assignable as I would love whilst making my own template.
A note of caution about Automap: although this did not happen to me, it did recently happen to a grand old fart on the Waldorf List that had his hardware Microwave 1 rack unit hooked-up via midi to a Novation Remote Controller, which was of course hooked-up to his PC via USB (Microwave 1 does not have USB to be clear), so rather than what he SHOULD have done, is made a midi chain via his audio interface's midi in/out and Novation Remote Kbd Controller, and the Microwave 1, rather than having the USB of the Remote connected at all.
What happened after a lot of sorting was that this guy had sound sets he paid a lot for in files on his PC rather than just using the 256K memory card and it's obvious space limitations, but that's what the Microwave 1 utilized for external saving/loading sounds. He also mistakenly had the Automap button pushed rather than Advanced, (controller was new to this person), and what ended-up causing his hardware rack unit's internals to "drool like an old pope" was when he attempted to load some of those internal sound sets through whatever DAW he was using, Automap had added "wrappers" to those very sound sets and was like giving a synth a "Mickey"!
From what I gather, most people seem to use a lot of software/vst's rather than hardware other than the Virus, of course here; but wanted to just give a heads-up that "Automap" can do odd unexpected things and this was sorted with help of Novation and another long time Waldorfian and now all is well and advice was for him to have those very sound sets stored on a totally separate drive and when using advanced mode to leave USB out of equation and use aforementioned midi configuration instead.
This was really odd behavior and have no doubt that Novation are constantly making Automap better in each update. However, this ALSO illuminated the other gripe I have about the user manual pdf for the SLmkii, in that it goes to great length to explain Automap function but as far as "Advanced", it's still rather vague. Have played the keys on their Impulse line of Controllers in a store and have to say they are CRAP-tastic keys when compared to the Remote SL Mkii's and so now, coming around to being on-topic, since you are able to use Automap very well with your other softsynths, are ANY of those vst's multi-timbre capable and does it work successfully (Automap) whilst using the UN or SL Mkii as your controller?

Sorry so long! My cat decided it was time to wake me up earlier than normal because went to sleep a few hours early due to negating sleep from deep Evolver synthesis night previously!