View Single Post
Old 21.07.2013, 04:20 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Yes, seems to be a good product getting even better with updates. Main difference to the Virus is probably that it doesn't support Multi. Could also be the reason they manage to work flawlessly, no?
Forgot to address this part. I can only offer a guess here, but my hunch is that the single timbrality of the Ultranova versus multi-timbrality of the Virus is not the source of the integration issues with the Virus. I only say that because if it were the case, it seems that trying to integrate the virus with a single patch would work solid as biscuits, but then when you went multitimbral you'd see things start to wig out and behave badly. That was not what I saw with my short stint with the Ti2... latency was present even with a single simple patch from what I can remember?

Multi-timbralism seems like would only affect integration with regard to flexibility to audio outs over a given data bus. In other words, if you want one patch to go through stereo channels at a given bit rate that's one thing. If you want multiple patches combined into the same data channel (or think of data channels as just basic audio outs but with the caveat they are converted to digital bits and sent through something that has a capacity limit) that's another thing entirely. Or if you're happy to just have all things crammed into a single mono audio out, things get much simpler of course that's not the flexibility most would clamor for at the $3k price point of the virus I guess?

Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm saying I think the Virus is trying to allow potential to push more data through USB2, while not properly implementing USB2. The Ultranova may or may not be properly implementing USB2, but it doesn't matter because it's not allowing as many stereo signals through? I will re-highlight my note above that my experience with the Virus Ti2 was quite lame with regard to latency on a single patch, so I would say either this theory is not the answer, or Novation simply understands how to implement USB data transmission and Access doesn't?

The Virus I tried before seemed to hate my PC with a vengeance and refuse to talk to it effectively. The Ultranova seems to have been born and bred with the PC in mind, communicating openly.