View Single Post
Old 18.05.2014, 11:30 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
but of course you can have different samples for different keys on Ableton's sampler. it's just a matter of digging into it, before you start thinking you need something else.
Unfortunately not... At least, not in the way I and Innovine described. That is, one sample spread across the keyrange WITHOUT pitchbend, such that playing different notes only alters the sample's start position (like slicing a REX file in ReCycle) It's really unfortunate because it's such a simple thing that's been a common feature of samplers for years, but Live's Sampler can't implement it. There are other ways to achieve a similar process - namely, Live's 'slice to new MIDI track' feature, but the 'morph' filters, FM and pitch envelopes I'm so fond of in Sampler are missing from these instances. Although, even just typing this out now, I'm thinking of a couple of workarounds that sacrifice minimal features.

I think I should still invest in Kontakt, though, at least eventually. I know exactly what you mean about bogging oneself down with too much gear and software. I've dramaticallg shifted away from that attitude recently, restricted myself to just the Virus, Battery 3 and Live as my primary toolkit and my work has improved, I think. It's something I have to keep reminding myself; Keep it Simple, Stupid.