View Single Post
Old 12.11.2014, 04:31 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
And to the last post... How many people really had Hi end Hifis in the old days?
Pretty much everyone who cared about whether music sounded good, because that was the only way to know the difference.

Quote:
What you on about there?
I'm realizing you're in the segment that will never know, no matter how much effort I expend.

Quote:
Most people have better headphones now than people with decent Hifis in the 70's and early 80's.
Yes, the sheer quantity of people with "decent headphones" whose ears have been polluted by "good enough" over-compressed sounds is probably a major contributing factor to the problem.

Being involved in software development for almost as long as I have music, I've seen a similar issue with the current millennial generation that have grown up being only a Google-search ("how do I.....") away from a solution or an answer to a question. In the old days we had to dredge through hundreds or thousands of pages of dense technical material in order to derive solutions. It was not fast or convenient, in fact it was slow and laborious, but what happened was we obtained a deep technical understanding of things way beyond the sole answer we sought. Like music, modern times have spoiled and polluted the up and comers. I know this first hand because I interview them on a weekly basis, so I get first hand visibility into watching them fall embarrassingly on their ass when forced to solve complex problems without a search engine. Is it a little like not being able to solve a math problem without a calculator? Sort of, except perhaps the consequences are far more severe. Their entire ability to think is being tethered to the availability of their Internet connection, and that's fairly scary.

I'm just thankful I learned to think back when we still had to.