View Single Post
Old 18.07.2004, 11:47 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
How many channels, sends/returns and groups? - Just to make me become more jealous. hehe
it is a 10 X 2 mixer......(or could that be 8 X 2???) anyways....so I get 10 preamps, with some nice EQ, mid sweepable (I think). Im not really too sure on all the specs, but I am going to see it maybe tomorrow night, or this week sometime, and I will let you know the full specs then. I think it is a really basic mixer, apparently didnt even have direct outs from the channels....he has modified the inserts to be direct out.

If you think about it, I could pay AUD$2000-$4000 for a couple of Avalon class-A mic pre's.....or some lower end valve pre's...But with this desk I am getting 10 vintage studer preamps with sweet EQ. Think of it as buying little channel modules....Like Neve/SSL channel strips. This is the type of thing that Lenny Kravitz has tons of because they have a particular sound.

My lecturer was telling me, that "when you walk into a room with a Neve console, urei outboard, studer analogue 24 track, all you have to do is place a mic near your sound source and you have that big international sound. It's the equipment that matters! Of course you need to know the fundamentals, and you must have knowledge, but with the right equipment, you will be making better quality records. Expensive equipment=expensive sound........" Im not sure if I agree 100%...but he makes a good point.

Anyways......Im looking forward to owning a piece of recording history!

Cheers,

Jase