View Single Post
Old 28.01.2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I don't think you are deaf, you have just identified your preference in sound.

I own a KC and used to own a Motif ES Rack. I have a good number of fairly high quality soft synths.

Most of the time I have to say I like the sound of hardware too. But there are a also alot of instances where I have heard some pretty remarkable sounds coming out of VSTs....

The one thing hardware will always have as a benefit over software (in my book anyway) is (1) the ability to jam/play live without dependency on a CP/Mac, and (2) tactile workflow via integrated knobs/fades/wheels/etc. that speak to the capabilities of the board in question. But (2) above is maybe becoming less of an issue with smart controllers out there like the Novation Remote xxSL series...

The one thing software synths will always have as a benefit over hardware are (1) affordability, and (2) expandability. Look how much additional material you can buy to expand the capabilities of Wusikstation, its mind boggling, affordable, and sounds great.

Stylus RMX blows the pants off any drum machine I've ever heard (not to say there aren't better hardware one's, I just haven't been exposed to them) and the SAGE expanders are a ridiculous value. GURU is pretty freaking impressive too.

The good news is that for those with an open mind they can enjoy the benefits of both...

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile