View Single Post
Old 07.05.2014, 02:33 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
Nice plug for a nice plug-in. Usual kind of soft synth features, lacks a stepper ala Spire. I may give it a spin.
It has a step sequencer -- you have to change the "type" value under arp by clicking it, otherwise it is in MIDI mode (import midi pattern).

Maybe you meant not as good as the one in Spire? That's possible, I have not yet tried Spire. Nexus/Omnisphere/Synthmaster have better visualization of the pattern.

Keep in mind though you can also do things like send note volume to the MSEGs which would basically give you some really over the top control over step sequencing -- actually a lot more so than the others mentioned.

When this plug-in blew me away was when I actually sat down to sculpt sounds with it from scratch. They just got the workflow perfect IMO. It's not only the sound of the thing but how it's all laid out, how quickly you get from point A to point B. Guess it makes sense coming from a company that also makes DAW software (even if obscure one that few folks use), so they have some experience with workflow.

I need to try Spire though. I've heard Spire is mostly a dance music synth whereas Dune 2 seems to be versatile enough to go anywhere, kind of like Zebra but with much simplified usability, less control but perhaps better sound. Main reason I went with Dune 2 is that it was only an $80 upgrade for Dune 1 users, and because of how much use I've gotten from Dune 1 over the last few years. Spire I would have to pay full price.

I'll be honest though, I think this is the best sounding synth I own now. Maybe its the onboard effects or filter quality or both, but it sounds a step above all the other soft synths I have.

Last edited by MBTC : 07.05.2014 at 04:02 AM.