View Single Post
Old 24.04.2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten
It was two stereo to begin with but then marc bumped this up to three depending on samplerate/bitrate I think. Even though it would of been nice to have all 16 over usb2 or firewire. Three is a bit wanky considering you have a 16 multimb synth.

ten
You know......Access is no synth light weight in the industry....im very suprised that they were unable to get a good deal on USB 2 (at the very least)....considering they sell synths in relatively large numbers.

This does add a little bit to my concerns... Undoubtedly the TI-2 will have an upgraded spec. I really do hope that the USB1 is not some kinda built in design limitation just so they can market the TI-2 as being more powerful. Because.....as much as I like Access and their synths....I would just find it so unacceptable that I'd probably never buy again.
I concur. Earlier I said that, if the TI had Firewire or USB2, it would have ensured it to become a future classic.

....Otherwise if the TI-2 has the additional bandwidth, second hand prices of the original TI may not be good for the seller (seeing as, in two years time, making music solely with computers will be even more prevalent than it is now, and hardware keyboards will perhaps have a more tough time being sold second hand - especially with more inferior integration than they could easily have otherwise have had. This could have been Access' last chance to make a storming hardware synthesiser, who knows?).

For example: How many (even brand new) standalone USB v1 soundcards sell well today? Which follows that, how many USB v1 soundcards will sell well in two years time?.....

The TI is a great synth, otherwise. Kicks ass. The only other shortfall, in my mind, which I would've loved it to have had is a ribbon or XY-pad controller for different modulation effects other than just linear knob twisting.

You know, I really honestly can't believe that Access haven't taken the opportunity to improve in this aspect with each incarnation of the Virus, right from the Virus A. It's an expressive synth, but there aren't many expressive "real-time" controls to take advantage over it, and it just hasn't been improved in this area. At all.

...Imagine controlling the wavetables with a ribbon controller by stabbing at it in different places with your finger (as opposed to smooth knob-transitions), or modulating this to another parameter like filter cut-off for gated/stuttered effects. If it had pressure sensitivity you could modulate filter cut-off in the X plane (left to right), and resonance in the Z (pressure) plane. Heaps of potential expression, all with using one finger.