View Single Post
Old 19.10.2004, 11:23 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
*Too much bass - I agree.....I ran the mix through a Multi-band compressor and was a little "trigger happy" on the bottom end. This could account for the "Virus-Sub" too.....
Take easy with the MBC or the mix sounds like crap. I usually don't even touch the band specific gain section of the MBC unless I really, really, really have to. Maybe some really minor settings but not heavy differences. If the mix lacks bass I don't start to add bass gain on the MBC like a madman. Instead I'll bring up the bass and kick on the mix and make a new mixdown. The general rule is that the less you'll have to EQ the mixdown the better. We Finns have a saying: "Can't make a chocolade candy out of shit", which means there is no kind of mastering tool that could save a bad mix. So first get your mix right and take it easy with the mastering process.

Quote:
*Vocals too wimpy - Yup....I think his voice is a little "thin", and the mic we used to record didnt compliment his voice. I will try some EQ or tape/tube distortion??
Analog tape recording is great in this aspect. For example listening to some vintage Hendrix tapes the screams that go distorted sound just brilliant. Can't do that nowadays... *sigh* But you should really try that distortion layering for other channels also than only to bass track. It's a very good trick and can do wonders to your mix. With that layering you'll get the crunch but also maintain the clarity.

Quote:
*Bass Distortion - There is some there...added with my Bass POD, but in the parts where there is only a bass lick and no other instruments, I have taken out the distorted bass part......it gets a little lost with the distortion of the guitars, so you cant really hear it, though it does fill in the low-end distortion where the guitars dont quite reach. I will bring it up a little more.
You'll definetly need to add some distortion on the bass. Now it really sounds like a subbass. You could also try to add some middle with EQ to get some punch on that sound.