View Single Post
Old 04.01.2010, 12:42 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

There is a little bit of virus in it - though as samples sounds which were reversed. The only sound from the original stems are the title witch doktor sample, the tribal chant loop at the start (but thats heaviliy re-grooved), the yell sample and a couple of loops with the putz vocal in them. The rest of the track is mine (ie most of the tribal stuff, rhythm, bass sounds, synths, fx etc, though used some library loops I have as basis for some of the rhythm and much of the percussion parts) - search for the title on youtube to hear the original.

As for all the perc bits, some of them are loops that have been heavily processed. I wanted to get a feel of a huge number of hand drums, so layered alot of percussion loops.

As you say, when you do that, you can very easily just end up with mud, so dont be afraid to make liberal use of gates, compressors, eq etc to get them to sit together. Listen to each sound/loop and work out what important from each - use gating/eq/sample (or even sidechain gating, sidechain compression etc) editing to get rid of the rest.

Sometimes you may actually want a very muddy feel to the perc (because you want the impresion of a huge number of drums) - in which use a kick or other sounds to key a compressor over the loops mix to get some space back for other parts.