View Single Post
Old 15.04.2005, 06:57 PM
New here
New here

Default Fairly new to sound design...

I've been a dj for a while now (tech-trance), and just recently (last 2 years or so) have begun to learn about (and attempt) production. I have a jp8080 and a whole mess of softsynths (vanguard, etc.) and a TI on order (the wait is maddening ). Now, to the questions:

I'm (obviously?) looking to create my own sound, as I've never been happy with presets. My immediate goal is to create something simple, yet playable, and I'm having trouble getting my JP to produce what Im looking for (the softsynths dont even come close). As far as comparison goes, the sound is along the lines of producers such as Jochen Miller (The stuttered lead in 'Vanity') and Marcel Woods (his remix of 'Bring the Pain', 'Time's Running Out' lead).

Here are a few samples to hopefully stimulate some idea of what I'm talking about:

Marcel Woods - Static State (at about 1 minute in)
Walt - Bring the Pain (Marcel Woods Remix)
Jochen Miller - Vanity

I realize this may be a simple style of sound to produce, but thats what Im looking for right now (something simple). I'm not opposed to spending hours twiddling knobs, but I think it would help to have some direction/brief explaination of why the particular sound is produced with a particular combination of oscilators, envelopes, filters etc.

Thanks for you time!