View Single Post
Old 23.07.2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy604 View Post
... it always depends on how many oscillators are in use and to which level Unison is set (1-8 Voices).

math example: 3 OSC * Unison x8 = 24 voices (max. utilization per patch)
Not only that, if you play three fingered chords you're tripling the voice usage further, then you have to think about release phases (to avoid note stealing) when you change chords, etc.

Sub basslines are usually monophonic, using 1 or 2 osc, so you're looking at just needing 1 voice for that part. Or 2 if you decide to use subtle twin unison.

Arpeggiated upper basslines: again monophonic, 2 oscs, twin or three unison = 2-to-4 voices.

Thick three-fingered pads/strings (chords) = Anything between 12 voices (for 2 osc, twin unison, and moderate EG releases) and 24 voices+ (for full blown 3 osc, 3 unison, and moderate release). Double the voice count further if you have even longer release times.

Leads: 2 or 3 osc, twin or 3 unison, moderate release = 12-24 voices.

Thick leads: 2 or 3 osc, 3 or 4 unison, moderate release = 24+ voices.

Ethereal/atmospheric stuff: Same as thick pads.

Blips, percussion, or FX, anything from 1 to 8 voices.

These are for classic oscillator types ONLY (as that's all I know, having an Indigo myself).

If you start using wavetables, formants, graintables, hypersaws etc, those guesstimates will be wrong. Some oscillator types require more DSP power than the classic ones, thus they'll reduce the voice count you have to play with with those patches.

So when Access give the figure "up to a maximum of 50 voices", you could have two parts playing chords and a thick lead and literally use up all of your polyphony... Or you could have a sub, arpeggiated top bassline, a few blips and a lead being able to use all four parts.

If you go stupid, you could use up all polyphony with one mofo behemoth of a patch, with just 10 voices to play with.

On the classic Virus though, I rarely use the third oscillator unless it really adds something to the sound. And similarly I rarely increase the unison beyond 3, otherwise it turns to mush. Some huge monophonic leads benefit from greater than 3 unison, but that's it, imho.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with regards to polyphony usage of the non-classic oscillators in the TI/Snow.