View Single Post
Old 18.09.2005, 01:24 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

That's totally fallacious. Those guys were using state of the art equipment that still holds up today. To say, "well, they made records on 8 tracks," but they had the very best stuff at hand and recording legends exhibiting their skills on it. I can easily get my songs down to 4 stereo channels for mixdown, but I don't have U47's, Fairchilds, Neves, and the like. Nevertheless, I can mix a semi-decent (not platinum level) song. Do you think that the Beatles closed themselves off from the technology at hand? If so, you're high. They had great equipment, world-class engineers, (and the best songwriter to date). High quality sound didn't originate in the 90's, we're still doing our best to match sound quality with the functionality we now enjoy. I'd like to know, vvanrij, have you dedicated yourself completely to the pursuit of music, and do you have albums on the store shelves to speak for it? Because from the looks of things, you're just some asinine prick with a cracked copy of Cubase who think's he's the recording genius of the century. I've struggled long and hard to accumulate the knowledge I have, and I'm still not completely there. To off-handedly dismiss the views of professionals who dedicate their lives to this pursuit is reckless, at best. Luckily, I am fortunate enough to have found a calling in music, and to the best of my knowledge, Jasedee and Hollowcell are the only other two people on this forum who have amassed the skill to pursue music as a career (Hollowcell may not be doing it yet, but could if he dedicated himself to it. (And Juho could def. find work, as he has discriminately great taste in sound, and an ability to create good ones)).

So you come in here a little over a week ago and start telling people what they need to know about music...lemme tell ya something...just at the point where you think you know the answers, you don't know shit. There's a reason Clearmountain has the status he does: he's been in it forever, and learned the hard lessons to make lasting recordings.

If it would appease you, I'd happily make a mix on computer speakers, and you can then proudly present to the world my inferior ability to making good sounding recordings. But, as long as I have to pay for my mortgage with my work, I'm going to use all the tools I find essential to creating listenable tracks. I don't get paid to be a mix or mastering engineer, so all my tracks are, by definition, "rough mixes," but I do as well as I can with what's available to me (which, through luck and a fanbase, is thankfully more than most).

PM me with your real name and town, and when I come to your area I'll put you on the backstage list, and you can tell me how much I don't know as soon as I get off stage. FWIW, we'll be opening for Tool their next tour...