View Single Post
Old 01.08.2009, 07:29 AM
New here
New here

Hi Timo,
thanks for you help!

Background: I was trying to build this patch by starting off with the "init" patch using virus control only.

Originally I did try to set the phase-init parameter to one but nothing happened; the oscillators still behaved as if they were free running.

Then I tried to route some modulations with the matrix - nothing happened
Tried to instantiate the soft-knobs - nothing happened.

After 3 hours of fooling around, I then loaded the "tutorial 1" patch in slot #1. Then I loaded "init" in slot 2. Now suddenly everything worked like it should - setting phase-init to 1 started all the waveforms at zero. I suspect that loading "tutorial 1" reset some communication parameters to allow the other settings to work.

Also: I'm not that interested in obtaining a 60 Hz note. I'm doing this to sound design a bass kick drum. Hence I'll set the pitch of the note to something harmonious with the root note of whatever track section I'm working with; eg if the track starts off in C I'll set it to a low C.

I mentioned 60Hz partly to avoid a long explanation that wasn't really related to the problem and partly because mixing 60Hz waves into kicks is something that I know others have done.

What I'm really trying to do is produce a sine wave that starts off at low C and then is pitch modulated from it's original note down one octave. I'll use this as the "tail" end of a kick drum. For the front end or attack I'll cut that from a sample. If I remember correctly infected mushroom uses this technique for some of their kicks. I've got a protocol to do this in Soundforge but I'm trying to program it in the Virus TI in order to get to know how the synth works. I've done very little synth programming and am learning the basics.

I said the problem was partly solved because even though the wave starts at zero I still don't get a precise sine waveform with the ADSR attack set at zero. The amplitude of the first half of the initial sine wave is too low and the second half is too high; then all the peaks and valleys are equal thereafter.

Thanks again,
T.

PS I have no idea about the user customizable wavetables, etc. Sorry!