Thread: Mono or Stereo
View Single Post
Old 25.08.2005, 03:38 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

I usually record everything in stereo but i?m not sure this is the right way to do it (lazy me ). I guess that if it?s a mono sound you should record it in mono and if it?s stereo the in stereo. I you use a panning delay or LFO, unison with panspread, panning keyfollow (like a piano) or other stereo effects there wouldn?t be much point in recording it mono. On the other hand there wouldn?t be any point in recording a mono bass in stereo would there? But if you record a mono synth in stereo wouldn?t it be the same as if you copy a mono track. I mean you just get 2 identical waves You may be right in that more bass oriented sound usually are in mono but i guess they are made that way because the human ear has trouble pointing out the direction of low frequency sounds (in other word: It dosn?t make any difference so why do it). On the other hand you would also (i guess) record mid and high pitched sounds in mono if they are mono to start with. Maybe the thumb rule is: If it?s in mono, record it as mono; if it?s in stereo, record it as stereo. But hey, i?m only guessing here. Anyone who actually knows about this? I would like to know too...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk