View Single Post
Old 03.04.2009, 01:53 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Definetly solved timing for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugface View Post
also midi issues with time stamping in windows xp can be solved with this micrsoft update. where some pcs suffer from clock sync issues. especially laptops.

use the microsoft update kb896256

to enable

PerfEnablePackageIdle

at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

This update apparently straightens the use of your TSC clock in timestamps.

Quote from microsoft..........

"Correct TSC synchronization
On some operating systems, the processor TSC may change the rate at which it counts. Additionally, the processor TSC may stop counting when specific processor power management features are used. On computers that have multiple processors, the TSC is typically the operating system hardware timer that supports calls to the kernel KeQueryPerformanceCounter function. When TSC does not increment monotonically, system components that use the kernel KeQueryPerformanceCounter function may not work correctly. To address this problem, Microsoft makes it possible for the ACPI Power Management Timer to be used as the operating system timer that supports the kernel KeQueryPerformanceCounter function. However, some programs may directly access the TSC by bypassing the Windows timer APIs. The multiple-processor Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) makes sure that the TSC registers on all processors on a multiple-processor computer remain closely synchronized. Therefore, access by system software that may be directed to different processors does not return different results. This change makes sure that the multiple-processor HAL continues to correctly synchronize the TSCs across all processors on a computer, even if the ACPI power management timer is used as the operating system hardware timer. "

Just managed to save myself hours of manual wave capture and hand quantising stuff..
Had the usual 3 to 5 millisecond drift but the bad arp timing and the usb clicks are gone.
I've tested it for a week now with several old mixes known to have bad arp drift and clicks. All gone.
The thing for me is why my windows auto update didn't ever include this..?? Mad! Such a crucial fix.