View Single Post
Old 02.07.2010, 06:23 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

The latency is usually on the audio input. So a live instrument arriving at the DAW is maybe 8-20ms delayed behind the existing audio/metronome that is already in the DAW. There are settings in the DAW to delay all output to compensate for the incoming delayed audio latency but this only delays everything to match. What I referred to as having no latency (or at least NONE whatever that I could detect, and I am pretty good at detecting delays and out of sync after being an audio engineer for over 30 years) is the audio that is already inside the DAW and is not coming in from the outside, hence my software synths have no detectable latency, I can rapidly hit the keys on my midi keyboard, the midi signal is instant and plays the nots instantly with no delay on the software synths. Also, I have NI Maschine, this is effectively midi pad triggering drum sounds that are already in the DAW - No latency - no audio coming in from the outside via USB. Latency delay happens on incoming AUDIO, the time it takes for the signal to be processed by the computer and the software, it arrives slightly later than the audio that is already in the computer hence the delay. No incoming audio, no delay.