View Single Post
Old 17.05.2014, 12:47 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovine View Post
Going back a bit... it's important to realise that skrillex is just the justin bieber of dubstep. The fact that he's popular should probably tip you off..
This answers the question that others have asked, regarding why does he get singled out for these types of discussions? Because people know who he is. A couple of weeks ago there was a skit on SNL where a guy played Skrillex. How many EDM producers can boast they've been mocked and made fun of on something as prominent as Saturday Night Live? It's hard to believe anyone choosing that haircut and glasses that didn't aspire to have attention in any form they can get it, so I assume he enjoys this level of recognition. Popularity is not a bad plan for folks who want to make a living making music, so in that sense maybe he's quite the businessman in disguise.

As far as the relationship between popularity and subjective quality of music according to the niches, I tend to agree; I can't remember a time when popularity of a given band or artist didn't lead to some sort of adverse impact, even if the effect was one member breaking off from a band for a solo career or whatever. A lot of artists seem to simply lose their creative edge or their work ethic once they hit a certain level of success, and / or the long-term effects of alcohol & drugs they enjoyed on the way up the ladder leads to long-term or permanent stagnation, then they either go all Cobain or just find themselves doing tours of previously popular material from the peak of their days.