View Single Post
Old 01.05.2013, 02:14 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Actually, was only meaning to post the fact there's tutorials available mainly for help with DAW program, thinking it might help someone learning as I am and only mentioned some other subjects available as FYI...I am nowhere near learning "mastering", et al. Learning a DAW can be pretty daunting and this resource has helped tremendously.
One suggestion to lessen the learning curve of any DAW. Don't feel like you need to learn everything about it right away. Try to just jump in and start recording some simple tracks, and every time you run into something that you don't know how to do, look up how to do it in the documentation, forums, online videos, etc. Then after you know how to do most of the things you need to do in order to make music, start looking into more advanced features on a curiosity basis.

That's actually the opposite advice I give to folks learning software development. In programming, it's so important to lay down the fundamentals and theory before just jumping in, and difficult to go back and patch the holes in knowledge later because too many bad habits have already been learned.

But with making music with DAWs, the way a DAW accomplishes a particular task is usually the choice of one or two designers who decided to make it work that way -- it's not science, and there's no right or wrong way even though it might seem as arcane as science at times. In every DAW I've ever used, I see some features that strike me as brilliant then I see other things implemented that are a complete what-the-fuck. It's just a matter of wrapping your head around that particular software package, and getting used to it by using it hands-on.