View Single Post
Old 21.03.2005, 09:38 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo

Does the VCF of a synth affect the oscillator waveform, even if it's left wide open?

....Like, on the Virus C, does a Saw with the Moog filter (low pass, but wide open) look any different to a Saw using the standard Virus filter (wide open), after it's been routed through the VCF?
Yes - because the Moog filter has embedded saturation. The difference is particularly noticeable with the Sine wave. From what I can tell, the standard filters do not affect the signal when fully open, so long as there is no saturation curve applied.

Quote:
I can remember hearing a Juno's basic saw wave, and it sounded really, really thick and meaty, especially when doubled and detuned.
The question is - is it possible to hear just the basic saw wave in an analog machine? I would suggest not, unless there is a bypass button for all the subsequent sections, all of which will add colouration to that basic wave..

Quote:
how come there aren't Juno (or Pulse, Jupiter, TB etc.) EQ plugins or the like..
Dunno. It's probably a lot more complicated and subtle than I have suggested, for one thing. Plus I guess people generally want the filter rather than just an eq - and with that there's the possibility that they already do build eq into those filter models..

I can't say that any of my comments on this topic can be held up as 100% fact, btw..