View Single Post
Old 03.07.2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Ten- Pink Floyd are psychadelic.....definately check em out. I can highly reccommend Animals, and of course Dark Side of the Moon. Some of the earlier stuff is great too....Sid Barretts influence was huge.
Pink Floyd left psychedelicsm behind in the early 70's. The only psychedelic PF records are The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Umma Gumma and Saucerful of secrets. From that on PF formed their own kind of slightly progressive, but still easy listening rock. It kinda lacked the progressive elements but it still sounded different and unique.

I'd recommend starting from The Wall or The Dark Side of the Moon (I'd prefer The Wall because it's the easiest album) and after those two Wish You Were Here album. Then it would be a good time to check out the other albums. Animals as a first Pink Floyd album can easily destroy the interest in the band, so I'd recommend avoiding that at first.

Edit: And the show in the Live8 was great! Although the opening, Breathe, was a bit lame, but the show got better towards the end. Comfortably Numb always works.

Edit 2: About the psychedelic Pink Floyd. I think Umma Gumma and Saucerful of Secrets are just a cartfuls of crap. A late 60's yearly 70's psychedelicism for sake of psychedelicism. The psychedelicism doesn't have any function, it's probably have been fun to make but not fun to listen to (unless you dope yourself up so badly that even trance is great, ?hih) and overall those two records only serve as a cruicial formation from the late 60's UG psychedelic rock to the one of the greatest bands of the history. It's like 80's digital synths - Utter crap, but they had to be made as a basis for modern useable synths.