Thread: Gear update
View Single Post
Old 15.08.2020, 10:24 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Recently added a Prophet 6 to my list of analogs. I actually sold my Virus Snow a few months back -- I always liked the sound, but actually working with it annoyed me and I felt like soft synths had gotten close enough to the Virus sound and even surpassed it in many cases. The reason workflow with the Snow didn't work for me was mostly just not having a "knob" for everything and having to go back to the mouse/keyboard to do this or that (and even then, I didn't care for the plugin or find it to be very good for sound design or production). Then there is the "volume" thing (i.e. the Virus TI has lame volume, because according to Kemper they had to leave enough headroom for 16 parts to play at the same time. What? Let me adjust the volume per part to my liking, headroom is for me to worry about not the synth designer, and this seems like the kind of excuse Elon Musk would make).

Anyway, despite all this I may get another Virus at some point because it does some things well -- I just need more knobs and direct control than the Snow offered.

A friend of mine inquired about my Minilogue XD module, and asked me how it compared to the Snow. Honestly even only as a 4 voice VCO poly and an under $600 price tag, its a little gem and sonically adds much more to a mix than the Snow, albeit not the exact same types of sound. It can sound very digital if you want it to, especially with the third digital oscillator, and there is a rich community of custom oscillators to choose from for the minilogue/prologue line.. you can get some very cool sounds from it, but what I like best about it is the sequencer, how you can combine it with "motion sequencing" modulation. Korg USB MIDI drivers are a little finicky and I think like the Virus its not a class compliant device (so you need the driver on Windows at least).