View Single Post
Old 25.08.2011, 12:09 PM
New here
New here

Hey, I just did an OS update for the first time so I thought I'd share my experiences just in case it's of help to anyone.

I was using my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Tried with and without engaging Receive Mode. I tried the following:

- MidiOX MIDI player (including pissing about with SysEx settings)
- that Alesis Freeloaded software in this thread
- Reaper at various BPMs (actually had more luck at higher BPMs, 180-200 seemed to get me the furthest)
- Windows Media Player once I figured out how the heck to route MIDI output in Windows 7 (downloaded an app, will try to remember where I found it if anyone's curious)
- switched over to my Mac to try SysEx Librarian with many combinations of data rates, pauses between transmissions, etc.

All of the above had the same result - the Virus received some blocks then (usually) just froze at a certain number, normally between 0-50 for the less reliable methods I tried and 50-80 for the better ones; or gave me "Incomplete Block" or CRC errors.

Finally (it was about midnight by then, I'd been at it since after I came home from work apart from a short break to visit my friend in hospital -fun evening overall!) decided to try a different MIDI interface: my Novation X-Station. Tried that with SysEx Librarian on the Mac with only a few ms between transmissions and it went absolutely fine. I didn't retry with any other apps as I was pretty keen to get to bed by then, but I got the impression the above methods probably would've been fine too through the X-Station.

My conclusion/tl;dr: Some MIDI interfaces have it, some don't. Seems like the more expensive Focusrite can cut it in terms of sound but Novation must've nailed tighter MIDI.