View Single Post
Old 20.05.2014, 09:19 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

But playing the song in Cubase with your MIDI tracks going straight to the Virus sounds okay in real time, right?

If I'm understanding properly, it sounds related to TI in the sense that the export process of the DAW would need some pretty tight cooperation from the Virus DSP in terms of rendering the audio the way the DAW wants to be "fed" so to speak. So it's possible that the DSP in the Virus is doing some extra work during the export, requiring it to take away some of the polyphony that you hear during regular playback, which would correspond to what Tweak is saying.

And his proposed solution is one possible solution -- and it's what I have to do anyway with non-integrated hardware that's just going straight into audio ports on the interface (Leipzig for example), but yes that's quite limiting in terms of workflow flexibility. Have you tried freezing the MIDI tracks in Cubase first? If it's a DSP resource issue on the Virus, that should reveal it or solve it and is a little more forgiving than treating everything as audio clips (at least you can unfreeze and modify while editing and freeze just prior to export).

I'm not sure any hardware instrument helps save disk space, because they are almost always going to leave you holding more audio clips which of course are huge compared to just MIDI data + patch settings for soft synths. Where you get the benefit from hardware is taking a load off your DAW CPU which there never seems to be enough of, especially working with the really good soft synths which are CPU hogs.