View Single Post
Old 27.11.2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I agree with quite a lot that's been said here about Apple. Although I think it's a bit odd that so many folks who seem knowledgeable about technology keep mentioning the abandonment of firewire. Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with firewire 400/800 with an adapter cable.
indeed! if you buy one of Apple's expensive adaptors you'll be able to use your "old" gear. but bus powered audio interfaces will need their power supply now. in a gig situation, this means having to carry another power supply thing around.

that can raise many issues, like imagine that you need to connect the interface where they've connected the stage speakers power, you could get nasty noise going easily...

On another note, I've read online reports about Logic X not working well with OS Mavericks? Really? I know a lot of people who have used Logic for years and years, me included, and are still stuck with Snow Leopard and Logic 9 because most reports and tests (I've made it myself with another disk) turn out to be an utter complete mess when it comes to reliability. Bare in mind Logic X still has some very good features and is probably the most complete package you can get, and the cheapest of them all - along with the OS of course. Pretty sure this will get much more stable in the near future to, since they've really put an effort on it. You can see by how fast they're dropping updates for it (just check the logic x update log on Apple's website to see how many bugs they've fixed). Overall Logic 9 has been fine tuned to work well under SL, a tack (as in tick-tack) OS by Apple that has improved performance on many levels. So that's stable and good.

But of course, for example, can't just update Maschine to the v2 since it's 10.7+ and some other stuff to (even a godamn pinball game I got the other day XD "this app doesn't run on your current operating system"), so most people are feeling that they need to keep an eye on developments and many - including me - decided to keep the current rig and spend more money on a new system to install the latest and (perhaps, time will tell) greatest software in there so as to make things easy. Not a wise move by Apple, no matter how you put it or look at it.

Now there's some third party developers doing all sorts of 32 bit bridge plug-in wrappers or 32 to 64 bit plug-ins converters to work with Logic X. Since that's also a big issue for the vast majority of people. You can't simply drop all your current projects and start fresh. If you have remixes and soundtracks for movies and stuff like that on your hard drive that you need to deliver on time, right? So that's where it's at, getting a new rig pretty soon and will take my time testing stuff out before I feel confident enough to make the move myself.