View Single Post
Old 08.11.2013, 12:34 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Those are exactly my thoughts. It has hit me recently that by not willing to update to the latest software by Apple, I was on a journey to something else.

I started with Reason and later got Logic because at the time I felt that dealing with only that very limited set of devices was a handicap for me and I had developed an interest in working with audio along with software instruments and later hardware. Reason has recently developed into a full blown host with audio recording and midi connections, and later with their Rack Extensions, it's sill far from the diversity you get with other daws with vst or audio unit formats for third party plug-ins.

I've also used Cubase, most specially during those times when I had trouble with the mac, and I can tell you it's one of those that have a very similar workflow to Logic, some things I like best - specially in Audio editting - and some I don't like as much, like handling automation and midi, that Logic still rules entirely. But it's a very complete DAW and is one that I could easily move to if I wanted. I've been atracted to Ableton, first because I got the stripped down version along with my Remote SL keyboard and it was the right thing to use for testing out live gig situations. Then bought some magazines (music tech) dedicated to it and the interest has grown. It's got a very unique workflow that somehow makes more sense when you add a device like Maschine into the equation, since it's really (or at least to me it feels like that) loop based sequencing, handles automation in a clever way (in loops as well) and you compose while having fun, not really paying that much attention to tech stuff while composing. And pretty much everyone seems to be using it these days, so it would enable me to make music with other people...

Will try to get back to Ableton once I catch some time, have some work load to handle atm and this things are better when you feel your mind is free to experiment and play with stuff.