View Single Post
Old 12.07.2014, 11:20 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Yeah the Sex Pistols where the product of Malcom Mclaren but they took the real punk attitude & sound to the main stream & made a shit load of money in the process. Of course there where many other's as well that could actually play there instruments & write songs also, the Clash, Stranglers, the Damned etc. I've seen them all live & even with there raw edge they did sound great. The Ramones to me just sounded like a garage band & nothing like the Punk rock I grew up with...not very edgey, volatile or experimental, just the same 3 chord's over & over. They didn't even catch on in the UK until the whole Punk scene went mainstream. Sure they may have been an influence but bands like the Clash covered old Dub tracks not the Ramones.
I don't think the Ramones would even be in my top 20 Punk bands, there where way better ones. I think they where just one of those bands that got away with sucking & still made money hence giving way to many, many others.
I still say it was there producer Craig Leon that made the band because without him just like the Sex Pistols without Mclaren they would have been nothing.