View Single Post
Old 20.08.2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Virus surgery: Re-Potting 101 (warning - many photos!)

3.7mb worth of pictures loading up, might take a while. (Will take approx: 2 Mbps = 15 secs; 512 Kbps = 1 minute; 56k dialup = 9 mins).

Virus Surgery: Re-Potting masterclass!

A few may recall I had a few wobbly pots (pot = potentiometer, or to the layman, a knob) on my Indigo when originally purchased second-hand. They worked perfectly fine, but they happened to wiggle around slightly from side-to-side when touched. On closer inspection, it appeared the metal shafts on the pots affected had worked loose, quite possibly due to a bump when in transit.

So I decided to install new ones.

All pots are 10Kohm linear, but I could not manage to source the knobs from local electronics stores/catalogues. They may be custom to Access. I therefore managed to acquire four new pots from Access-Music's hardware branch [Synthesizer Service] which is based in Germany.

So here we go!:-

Disclaimer (purely to cover my own ass):- It'll void your warranty if you do it yourself, so if you don't trust the Virus in your hands get a proper, qualified serviceman to do it for you.

^ My Indigo under anaesthesia.

^ Turned over, all highlighted screws need to be removed.

^ Turned over again. The keybed now slips out!

^ The keybed is still attached via a ribbon cable, shown highlighted, so this needs to be disconnected.

^ Indigo sans keybed.

^ Two screws either side of the rear panel need to be removed.

^ Turned over gently. All highlighted screws need to be removed.

^ Turned over very carefully. The two side-cheeks now slide out either side and can be removed.

^ Indigo without keybed and side cheeks.

^ By removing the previous screws, the front fascia is also separated from the chassis. You can lift it off.

Continued...