View Single Post
Old 02.12.2010, 04:11 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

More than once in recent history, Facebook or Facebook applications have betrayed their users' privacy, even if by accident.

I am simply not of the belief that a Facebook account should be a requirement just to hear what the price of a good is. Facebook is a ruse for targeted marketing, and I understand and appreciate that as a business owner that marketing is an important topic to you, but as a consumer I have the right to opt out of these things on principal.

I actually have a couple of dozen Facebook accounts with various anonymous info in them that I have to use for testing with applications that I develop. I just chose not to use any of these (perhaps you will be grateful that you have one less non-existent user on your mail list?).

I don't want to presume to tell you how to run your business, but I can tell you that the philosophy that everyone uses Facebook is flawed. I work with largely highly technical people, many of whom either have no Facebook account at all or have not logged in in over a year. Also, the Facebook trend is likely to be supplanted by the next social networking fad in the coming years, so the less dependent your business is on them for marketing info, the better position you are in for longevity.

Best of luck to you in what you decide.