View Single Post
Old 12.05.2015, 01:58 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
OK enough of the apple bashing, get back behind your curtain. I personally need a laptop because like a lot of people I also use it for DJing/playing out but it is quite capable of running my studio as well.
Not Apple bashing - I have a Mac and I write software for Apple's devices. I don't use it for my primary studio machine because I need CPU power that requires a desktop case for cooling, and I don't want to spend $5k to get a Mac Pro that I would be happy with. No other Apple offering offers proper airflow and cooling.

Once again, *IF* you need portability (which you do if you're a DJ by profession, so my earlier message is not for you) then you pretty much have no choice but to have a laptop. Evilgus said his has gone tits up, which is what happens to laptops when you push them beyond their thermal boundaries for an extended period of time, which is why I made the recommendation.

My message was really more about laptop vs. desktop and generally about getting the most bang for the buck since he mentioned financial limitations. I can build a PC for a few hundred bucks that hangs with a Mac Pro costing several grand. Apple makes their money on hardware profit margins and that's just a fact of life. There are some things about the platform I like and things I don't. Bang for buck is not Apple's strong point. But if you have an Apple and like it, why change it? If it ain't broke, don't fix. But if it is broke, and it's Apple, it may be increasingly difficult to fix or upgrade yourself, because they go out of their way to keep their walled garden a secret.

Again it was a legitimate recommendation for one particular case. I don't recommend the exact same setup to everyone. If I were DJ'ing I would probably just go with a MacBook, because portability would be the main feature I need, and I probably would not be pushing the thermal limits with it running lots of CPU heavy synths live during a set. Samples and pre-mixed sets don't exactly require a horse of a computer to get the job done.

Also I don't think you want an iMac or any slim profile case -- not good enough airflow to be a good fit for a home setup, it will just always be running hot if you use a lot of soft synths, thus the life will be shortened and you'll have to drop it off at the damn shopping mall or ship it back to Apple to have it worked on. Aside from the Mac Pro most of Apple's stuff notoriously runs hot.