View Single Post
Old 11.05.2015, 11:06 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Just some advice -- avoid laptops for a home studio unless you truly need the portability of it on a regular basis and are willing to pay the premium.

To get the most bang for your buck, you need a desktop-grade chip in a case with proper airflow and thermal handling. Anything less will always be faced with some combination of (a) not performing well enough (b) running hot (c) reduced life span becoming glitch over time as you said (d) high cost of replacement components (e) poor expandability. Maybe not all of those at one time, but they all greatly impact the viability of a laptop or slim profile case of any sort for a home studio.

You need a fast CPU to get the most out of modern soft synths, and fast CPUs require airflow that only desktop cases and cooling mechanisms can provide. Laptops are designed for portability and battery life optimization, not maximum performance.

Sure Mac Pros are nice but they are ridiculously priced. For about a grand you can get a PC that will deliver better performance than the most expensive Mac Pros. Remember Apple makes their money off of hardware -- to survive they have to find ways to keep you buying more of it.
OK enough of the apple bashing, get back behind your curtain. I personally need a laptop because like a lot of people I also use it for DJing/playing out but it is quite capable of running my studio as well. Sure they are expensive compared to a PC laptop but you get what you pay for. If I could afford both a studio computer & a gigging laptop then I would probably get one of the new iMacs for the studio.
Not wanting to start a platform flare but Apple do not just make there money from selling hardware. OSX & iOS are two of the biggest operating systems on the planet not to mention all the app's they produce.
Sure you can get a PC with better spec's for less money but it has to run on windows pretty much which I gave up on in 98 & nothing I've seen since has made me regret the decision. There is a reason why pretty much every DJ in the world uses the Macbook pro.
I did own an E-MU extreme lead several years ago but found the sounds quite dated even back then & being a ROMpler there's not much room for programming new sounds. It could be quite usefull if you are going for a retro kind of feel & for the money they are now there a pretty good deal.