View Single Post
Old 25.03.2013, 03:52 PM
New here
New here

I am pretty much an Elektron head, and when I decided to get a synth, it was a hard choice between the Virus Snow and the Monomachine. I borrowed a Mono for a few months before deciding, and in contrast with the Snow the Mono proved a tough instrument to love at the outset ... Elektron presets are notoriously bad at demonstrating what their instruments can do. I found that while the Mono has many sound design possibilities, it took a lot of effort to wrap my head around them. So I went for the Virus.

Sadly, I haven't gotten nearly as much use out of the Snow as I'd hoped, mostly because I travel a lot and I find it easier to compose by whipping out a single piece of self-contained hardware that has an integrated sequencer. And Elektron's built-in sequencers are quite flexible and inspiring. In fact I'd say that's one of the best reasons to go for an Elektron device: the sounds can be phenomenal, but they require digging, and good results are tightly dependent on complex sequencer interactions.

If I were more of a DAW kind of guy, I'd probably be giving the Snow more attention. If I could tweak and sequence the Snow with an iOS app, I would *definitely* enjoy it more. But these are my personal issues. If you're a happy Virus user, I doubt the Mono would give you much you don't possess already in terms of broad synth power.

Its sequencers, on the other hand, will likely blow you away. Integrating Elektron devices with DAWs can definitely be done, but that's not the direction the company is focusing on -- they're more about getting away from the computer than wrapped up in it.

If you're curious about what the Monomachine can do, I highly recommend searching for Cutoph on Soundcloud (he has several pages), plus check out this: http://soundcloud.com/lemnic/mnm-dem...-bank-from-lem