Thread: New hardware?
View Single Post
Old 13.05.2013, 11:26 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

My estimates for dates of successive hardware releases have been poor in the past, so I dare not guess further. Access-Music's business model changed with the introduction of the TI. Prior to that they released new hardware synths regularly (once every several years), but with the TI series they gave themselves much more room to add large successive software updates rather than requiring new hardware each time, which is why TI OS is currently version 5 yet the TI hardware has only been refreshed once since the original TI|1, and even then it was a relatively minor refresh rather than a substantially different hardware upgrade.

Timeline (hardware series):-
Virus A launched 1997
Virus B series launched 1999
Virus C series launched 2002
Virus TI|1 launched 2005
Virus Snow (TI|1) 2008... present.
Virus TI|2 launched 2009... present.

Since it was four years between the launches of TI|1 and TI|2, I originally thought TI|3 might come earlier this year (Winter NAMM 2013), but it wasn't to be. TI|3 may come next year, maybe the year after, even if there is a TI|3 at all. I have no clue. Nothing has been publicly stated.

However, we know that Christoph Kemper (aka Kemper Digital), the founder and primary coder for the Virus has been working on a series of high-end profiling amplifiers for guitarists the last two years or so, the first of which was released in January 2012 last year. Several new versions debuted at the 2013 NAMM show earlier this year, and he was working on a pitch-shifter for the Musikmesse that has just been and gone. So whether he will continue to work on the guitar side of things instead of synths for a while, and if so for how long, is unapparent.