Thread: Yamaha FS1r
View Single Post
Old 24.08.2007, 07:16 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Lightbulb

Hey no problem. That really sucks that you had that issue there. Beats me on that one.

I ended up getting the FS1R, and a Yamaha SY85 to boot. Really great machines. Totally worth it in my opinion. I had some major problems effectively using the software-based programmer for the FS1R while running Sonar at the same time so I found a workaround...

I installed MidiYoke (related to MidiOx) and the little "virtual MIDI cable" program that comes with Hubi's MIDI Loopback (Hubi's doesn't work on XP I guess, but the cable program does) and set 2 instances of that cable program to open the MIDI port in and out, and a MidiYoke port for input and output sharing. (Yeah I have an antiquated sound card for the MIDI port, but I don't care. LOL)

Kind of went like this:

MPU401 In from keyboards -> MidiYoke port 1
MidiYoke port 2 -> MPU401 Out to keyboards

So then I can run Sonar and set MidiYoke port 1 as the MIDI input in all programs and MidiYoke port 2 for the output. Those ports end up being relayed to and from the hardware port, the only thing is that the MidiYoke ports can be opened by whatever the hell you want. So I can run the FS1R programmer with the same ports in and out and it wont blow up while Sonar has a hold on the same ports. Complicated!!

What a pain in the ass, but at least it works. lol

I should probably get some sort of breakout box with proper drivers that doesn't have these types of problems. hehe
Synths can be like women. After the initial few months of intense love-making, things become routine, banal. Once the deepest recesses have been probed, new specimens begin to attract the eye, bursting with promise of unique treasures to uncover. --Doof
__
Alesis Andromeda A6, Roland SH-101, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY85, Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000VP, Roland GR700+G707