View Single Post
Old 25.03.2006, 02:26 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Sorry about that, I just edited my previous post to answer that before you asked it.

Yes, so long as you've created a Ghost emergency boot disk too (a self-executable floppy disk, for example), then that will allow you to boot into a simple DOS mode of Ghost, to then let you re-copy the backup image to completely restore the whole OS or hard-drive again. I think there's the option to create self-executable CD-Rs or DVD-Rs along with the backup image all on one disc, too, so you can re-install the backup completely from cold.

If the OS is bigger than one DVD (when compressed), it will allow you to span across multiple DVDs. I've never had to do that, though, for OS backups. They generally all fit on one DVD-R. If you were taking a backup of a non OS disk, ie. with loads of data on, such as Wavs or AVIs or the like, then you can span the backup image across multiple DVD-Rs.

Also hard-disk size isn't a problem. If the hard-disk containing your Windows XP operating system is 50Gb, but the OS takes up just 7Gb of that, Norton Ghost only takes a working image of the data, not the free space, so the files are much smaller. A 7Gb WinXP OS would typically compress to about a 4Gb Ghost image. You can even use Ghost to browse your compressed backup images to retrieve any files on there again, should you need them.

You can even restore Ghost images back to different sized hard-drives, so long as there's enough space for the original data to be restored. It doesn't worry about the remaining free space.

It's a damn good prog.