View Single Post
Old 07.02.2014, 08:26 PM
Pro
Pro

Yes, you are so, so correct. It was in fact, musicians USING the original Roland analog instruments in non-foreseen ways, and those boxes were extremely cheap instruments at the time, (the analogs) much as the original Korg MS-20 was extremely cheap and like the Roland gear, it was really not until a bit later their non-foreseen application made them as popular as they are to where A LOT of knock-offs of those originals, still in analog, sell well even today.
I am all for VA, as the Virus as well as my Waldorf Q have finally made me want to seriously finally thin out my herd of different synths acquired in my quest to find what works for me. Virtual analog, when done extremely right, in a mix, even a hardcore analog purist is going to have a far cry differentiating.
Somehow, it almost seems like Roland is doing a "recycle/repeat and rinse" in guise of consumerism and marketing, but will rightly admit I could very well be dead wrong...the horse has been a dead and beaten horse at this point, many times over and would hope for innovation in it's stead.

Yes, I understand and thanks for pointing out those MC-xxx were ROMplers...so would this new anagram by Roland be a "Virtual Rompler/Analog"...yes, being a bit flip, as is my wont.
Then again, we are really fortunate to be owners of various incarnations of the Virus Engine that still has no problem selling as well as winning awards...there's a very good reason for that.