View Single Post
Old 28.01.2014, 05:20 PM
Veteran
Veteran

@MBTC

yes, all that you (and Berni) are saying makes perfect sense. But that's entirely dependant on your priorities and your approach to music making - very similar to mine even!

just don't think that just because you enjoy working mainly with software and integrated hardware you can claim to be more evolved then people relying mainly on hardware, because that's just two sides of the same coin, and you can get good results both ways. the way I see it, namnibor is right when he says that there's different strokes for different folks. to simply disregard hardware based setups as old-fashioned stuff is a bit short sighted. one of the key aspects of this analogue revival thing is that many producers who have grown with software emulations of the old classics have developed a serious interest in the analogue sound, because of it's undeniable characteristics as opposed to digital forms of synthesis, even virtual analogue. midi still is up to the task, provided you have a decent audio interface to begin with, if you have a word clock - like you find on RME interfaces - sync issues are next to none, and with enough I/O your old fashioned gear is totally integrated into your setup and the sound quality of those things are undeniable.

While I like such things as Massive for the possibilities and interface, I think an old-fashioned Waldorf Q still eats it for breakfast when it comes to sound and programming possibilities, let alone the SH 101 (if they do decide to come up with it again) sounds better then any software synth I know off, even being a limited mono instrument like it always was.

There's still plenty of emulations of the TR machines out there, both in hardware and software. Not to mention the TB 303, of course. Why do you think that happens? That's legacy. Some genres have been born out of the possibilities and sound characteristics of such machines. XOXBOX still sells A LOT, TR clones do to. some people rely on this very stuff for live acts, have you ever listened to a TR 808 or 909 connected directly to a mixer on a PA system? that's why analogue isn't out of fashion, there's simply no argument here. that think rocks on it's own, no need for added compression or something, it cuts through and is easy to change patterns on the fly, that's why many VERY successful acts still use it up to this day...

So are we really disregarding a machine we don't even know the specs of yet, just because it's probably analogue voice based? If they do come up with a 101 I, for one, am surely getting one. Big deal if I get 5ms of latency, all it takes is turning on delay compensation on the DAW and it's done!

Check out this old-fashioned dudes who desperately need to evolve XD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baMs9P50J-w