View Single Post
Old 23.05.2014, 12:49 AM
Veteran
Veteran

It could explain it. In theory there's a lot going on at once: during a real time exporting of a full track there's a huge cpu load; certainly hope this isn't what the OP is doing - 'cause that's just pushing your luck imo. The thing is: if using the usb for audio streaming and the usb connection is also taking care of the TI thing, where Midi in and out is an open route (if you will), then this gets busy. At the same time, if the cpu is struggling to keep the pace - and that's a common thing considering there might be a lot of latency inducing plug-ins (heavy duty dsp processing can be a cpu hog, as I'm sure you know better then I do); to my mind all of these things together can induce cpu spikes, in which case the added latency could originate this kind of thing.

In most common situations (where one isn't pushing his luck), missing voices is just "note steal" due to DSP overload on the synth. It's got it's own mixer, you can solo the parts, you can record one track at a time in solo, making sure both system resources and the Virus is free from unnecessary struggle and performs as expected. This is, or rather should be, common practice and best way to avoid issues - even timing issues with all types of hardware synths, where latency is always a factor to have in mind. Some ms is ok (sometimes a little bit off the grid doesn't hurt), you can compensate it with sample delay function (many times included on the channels themselves, otherwise as plug-ins, few times the host can compensate the latency and align with the midi).

What matters is to get a routine that works and stick to it and focus on the music, really.