View Single Post
Old 22.05.2014, 11:54 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Again, this is just pretty standard stuff. Virus, as far as recording goes behaves pretty much as any external instrument: you need to record it in real time. It has to play through, while recording.

The only problem I think the Op was having was that at some instances, there was to many things going on and that's originated the "note stealing", due to DSP overload - also a common thing in all DSP based hardware.

Virus allows you to change the priority per part, but ultimately when the time to mix down comes, it's best do record every patch on a multi on its own - specially when there's demanding patches involved or to many of them; so as to assure best performance/quality for each. It's really as simple as that.

As far as outputs go, you can go with either analogue outs connected to a sound card; or the audio stream using the usb connection - in which case he'll have the advantage of sample accurate timing; this last point is where the TI is similar to software instruments.

I'm able to record my Virus (C desktop) using the "freeze" function on Ableton, what it does is it records the parts and then the Virus stops receiving and sending audio, it's just an audio clip; so if that's what you mean with this Cubase function, it should - presumably - work properly.

Offline rendering, as you'd do with software is not supported. Not only with the Virus, but with any hardware synth that I know off. Unlike many people say, I feel the Virus DSP is strong enough for most uses, provided the user is familiar with what it can do and can provide a very smooth workflow - even with the C. The TI range has a major advantage though: you get delay and reverb per part on a multi, whilst before that you'd have those set as global fx - for the whole thing; even when using different outs for the parts on a multi. Thus, knowing this, rendering the parts on their own is a no brainer and I feel the same must still be true for the TI, except it makes life easier for arrangement and previewing the sounds while composing - plus some other tasty features that have been added meanwhile.

Multi implementation is actually very strong with the Virus, compared to many other instruments like the Blofeld for example - which is sort of incomplete btw. Number of voices available is also flying above most anything VA on the market, except maybe the Nord Modular (but that's discontinued anyway).