View Single Post
Old 08.02.2014, 05:31 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Well, blaming the 4 on 4 time signature, is liking blaming grammar for bad writing.

And there's tons more to it! like syncopation and swing for example.
yep, true.... depends on what "it" is, but one thing for sure, there is definitely, and usually, more to everything.. hehe.

I mostly said what I did about four on the floor with regard to EDM. That's just because lounge music for sitting back and chilling with friends and club music for getting on the dance floor and burning through energy are two entirely different things, and most clubs I'm aware of that aren't a hole in the wall and drive large crowds would have trouble surviving if they introduce "swing" into the beat. Most people don't want to be out there doing the irish foot shuffle leprechaun dance

But it doesn't mean I want an intense throbbing dance beat all the time. Honestly sometimes what I listen to on a weekend night during while at a club or even screwing is not necessarily the same thing I want to listen to Monday morning on the way to a meeting at a client site. Things sound different with alcohol. If I went down a list of the bands that are in my own opinion and mind the greatest in the history of music, only a couple of synth bands would even make it into the top ten, and none of them are really what anyone would call EDM.

As far as Skrillex, I admire anyone that is truly good at what they do, even if I don't like what they do. My problem with dubstep is that it is a genre born from pasting clips together like in Live, which comes across sounding more like a random paste-fest of sound bytes than it does a musical composition. Sonny is kind of snarky little geekturd that can't even read sheet music, but I respect his ability to draw a crowd. Nobody will know who he is 15 years from now, but that's true of all these little Justin Beebers wet behind the ears artists. The true talent got sucked out of music the moment it became freely available online via the interwebs, and there's not much new to see. Its just the reality of the situation these days.