View Single Post
Old 15.10.2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hey John, long time no see buddy...

I don't have a Ti (yet), so am unsure about the external inputs (as they look like they are different to earlier Viruses) but..

..noticed on Access' page that it states:

· 2 Inputs with 24-bit A/D converters
· 4 different input sensitivities

What exactly are the 4 input sensitivities on your TI? One of them may be for dynamic mics (that don't need 48volts phantom power).

However, are the TI external inputs balanced or unbalanced? Most microphones are balanced (TRS), and I'm not sure if they'd work when when linked up to an unbalanced input, so you'd have to check with Access or the like.

A dynamic microphone for vocals will be a lot more durable (especially with kids!) and often won't need phantom power. Condensor microphones, on the other hand, are very sensitive (too vulnerable for kids, perhaps) and would need 48volts phantom power, as well as a stand (to keep it steady) and a pop-shield (as they're vulnerable to "plosives" - sudden, concentrated gusts of air pressure from the mouth on certain letters like P's, B's, T's etc.), and condensors ideally need a dedicated pre-amp/voice channel (which usually includes 3 band parametric EQ, a low-cut (high pass) filter for reducing rumble, a compressor/limiter for evening out the incoming vocal signal, input and output gain controls, and a phantom power switch [for condensor mics]).

However, I'm not totally sure about the specifics of dynamic mics, as I've never used them myself (being a synth head!). You may or may not need a pre-amp/voice-channel to get the signal up to speed before placing it into your TI's external inputs. It depends on the 4x preset sensitivities of the TI's inputs and whether the TI's inputs are balanced or not.

A separate pre-amp is generally favourable, though, as you get all the added features for processing your vocals (to get rid of low end rumble, and for EQ and compression for smoothing out the vocal, and you also have control over the gain, etc.), and it gets the signal ready for line-level usage. Some soundcards actually have dedicated balanced Mic inputs, eliminating the need for a separate pre-amp, and again this would be better when compared to using your TI for recording vocals alone.

In terms of handheld dynamic mics, one of the industry favourites is the Shure SM58 due to its rugged build and good frequency response.

No doubt someone else here will be able to offer the specifics. I'm out of my depth with regards to microphones. I only have a condensor mic and a Focusrite TrakMaster (pre-amp) for acoustic/instrumental duties.

Last edited by Timo : 15.10.2008 at 02:45 PM.