View Single Post
Old 11.11.2014, 01:58 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
When people get older they get less appreciative of new things and find comfort in what they know. New versions of what they know doesn't quite cut it for them as they've heard it all before.

I dread they day i don't find joy in new songs, even new pop songs.

My joyus long drive would be listening to hours of what passion punch posted, endless trance tunes i'd not heard before, like a new journey, yeah the same old presets rearranged in a different order with the odd new sound thrown in. Listening to endless Fleetwood Mac would be like HELL to me.
I think you missed my point. I like all the trance passion punch posted, but that's because I like the genre and have an ear for it. That's also why I said I am not talking about a subjective preference for a particular band. I used Fleetwood Mac as an example of a classic rock band that was famous because their music was good -- long before video and MTV became the mainstream. They achieved their success solely because of their musical talent -- talent that does not even require a specific technology, any one of them can sit down on an acoustic instrument and faithfully reproduce their work.

But, it's not about Fleetwood Mac or liking a particular band. That's why I said *IF YOU DO* like them at all, you will find that they have an UNFUCKING BELIEVEABLY COMPLETE catalog of music that is of the same high quality as their major hits. I could say the same of maybe Tom Petty. I know people who think Tom Petty is brilliant, others think he sounds too country or just plain hate his sound. That's fine, but what is undeniable is the sheer quantity and quality that he offers to his existing fans.

In the electronic music genre, I would say maybe Armin Van Buuren is maybe hinting towards that same level of greatness, in the sense that if you like his stuff at all, his prolificacy is starting to approach (at least in quantity) the type of artists I've spoken of... he consistently pumps out music that will usually appeal to existing fans. But we have to be fair and keep in mind he is fundamentally a DJ more than a musician, and what he does is not quite in the same league.

When we say "there is some good music still being made" -- yes, I would agree, but for the most part it seems to be limited to artists that stumble upon creation of a few good tracks by accident. There aren't any left that seem to be able to consistently write amazing music (amazing according to their own fan base -- again further removing the subjective nature of whether one band or another is good from the discussion for obvious reasons).