View Single Post
Old 03.07.2005, 10:28 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Ten: If you want reviews that only say "Great work! I love it!", you have a bad problem in your hands. The best way to develop musically and as a producer is to receive objective and sometimes harsh criticism. I know it always feels great when someone give compliments of your tracks, but the reality is that the negative critic is the one that is the useful part.

You really shouldn't be afraid of criticism. As many of you know my reviews can be ruthless sometimes, but how many times I've tried to intentionally insult the artist I'm criticising? How many times I've given negative criticism on a track that's perfect? Is there even a track that's perfect?

Why are you afraid that someone who doesn't listen to the kind of music your track represents gives a review of your track? Sometimes the best advice come from outside the genre. Usually if I review a track that's musically not my cup of tea and it's kinda lost case (ie. cheese trance, or similiar) I concentrate on the productional side, so you shouldn't have a problem with that either.

It's a shame that nowadays yes-yes-man culture is so strong. No-one gives honest reviews and critic ebcause "I don't want no-one to get upset or hurt", so all the reviews are "GREAT! Super! I love it!" no matter what kind of crap is reviewed. When you people review tracks be honest. By lying you hurt the artist more. Just look at the Idols contest's first round and you see what lying really can do. "All my friends said I am a great singer! BOO-HOO!".

Remember people, negative criticism is the cake, positive criticism is just the frosting. Who likes a plate of plain cake frosting? Personally I'd like to have the cake itself too.