View Single Post
Old 13.07.2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Lol, both bands where formed at the same time in the mid 70's so I very much doubt either one influenced the other. Certainly don't sound anything like each other. No internet or social media in those days & just trying to make it as an indie band in your own country was hard enough, let alone crossing the pond without major label help. It has to be said the Pistols where way more commercially successful however & influenced a slew of punk bands across the globe. While the ramones wanted to be 'sedated' the pistols wanted 'anarchy'...
Personally I would take the anarchist's over the glue sniffing heroin addicts any day Oh wait a minute didn't Sid Vicious die of a smack overdose, I guess that makes them even on the heroin overdose death's at least Lol!
Did the Ramones invent Punk? Of course not, they didn't even come close.

On 23 April 1976 the debut album by the leading punk rock band in the New York scene, the Ramones, was released. Though it is regarded as seminal to the growth of punk rock in England and elsewhere, Lydon has repeatedly rejected any suggestion that it influenced the Sex Pistols: "[The Ramones] were all long-haired and of no interest to me. I didn't like their image, what they stood for, or anything about them";[56] "They were hilarious but you can only go so far with 'duh-dur-dur-duh'. I've heard it. Next. Move on

Last edited by Berni : 13.07.2014 at 05:39 PM.