View Single Post
Old 27.01.2012, 05:25 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I need to try Spotify one of these days. Right now my music collection of past stuff is pretty extensive. To hear new stuff (emerging electronic music) sometimes I will just download an entire compilation set (the ones that have like 50 tracks on them that would cost $35US if bought onshore), then listen to it at the gym on the treadmill with the ipod nano. Oddly enough its during these runs / music listening sessions that I think musical ideas/inspiration hit me the hardest (maybe endorphins and what not?). I think to run Spotify at the gym I'd have to use my phone and that would be klunkier than the tiny nano (not to mention I would sweat all over it and probably break it).
Spotify is the greatest comercial music distribution innovation, hands down. I can't even count the new bands and artists that I have found via Spotify. The "Related Artists" feature is awesome. Just pick one of your favourite artists and then check the "Related Artists" list and give alisten to ones you don't know yet. One other awesome thing in Spotify is that it contains even the most obscure records. I've dug up loads of old italian progressive rock and all kinds of traditional folk music from there that can't even be found from YouTube. If you have a chance to give it a shot, do not hesitate!

I wish I could pay more for that service. Now it costs 9.90€ per month for the most expensive Premium subscription but I'd gladly pay twice as much just to keep this service alive. Spotify is apparently struggling to keep going due to low financial income since most of the users are on the Spotify free that has ads like comercial radio. The ads don't apparently generate very much income and the whole business relies more-or-less on the subscribers. It would be huge loss if Spotify would go bankrupt.