View Single Post
Old 09.11.2014, 09:22 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Ok, well first I should have probably pointed out that when I said links please, I had no intention of providing feedback on varying musical taste for every link someone wanted to post. So let me say that I wasn't trying to convince anyone they should like or appreciate trance, much less vintage trance.

My point is that most of the great musical ideas have already been consumed. Most of the opportunity for fame, profit, recognition for creativity, etc has been on a downward slide for years, due partially to technology innovations like Napster.

Tweak I don't believe it has anything to do with the sharing of information -- more than thirty years ago I used to run an online forums (they were called BBS back then for those not old enough to remember), and they were quite active among the technology savvy (maybe I should use the word MIDI-heads to describe the musically technological savvy folks, since MIDI was still a relatively new invention back then). I don't think that replacing an older technology like character-based BBS's with web browsers and forums has necessarily had a direct impact, except for the fact that it has enabled a tsunami of people who would have never been technical enough to figure computers out 30 years ago to just walk into an Apple retail store, buy a Mac or an iPad and be "online" in a matter of minutes. Just getting online in the early 1980's was a chore in itself! That pretty much guaranteed that anyone else you interacted with online was of high intelligence. I miss those days.

Anyway, getting back to specific musical taste. I wasn't trying to impose my own musical preferences on anyone else, that's completely beside my point.

I will try to illustrate with an example. Recently I went on a long drive (several hundred miles) with an MP3 thumb drive providing the music to my car. One of the LPs I listed to was "Very Best of Fleetwood Mac".

Now, I realize not everyone likes Fleetwood Mac, but my point is that *IF YOU DO* like them, then you can sit back and listen to song after song, album after album of some of the greatest soft rock ever to grace the human eardrum. Think about what I said. I'm not talking 10 hits. Not 20. Not 30. DOZENS of magical tunes.

How many bands do that these days? If they are able to eek something even worth listening to out of Pro Tools, they are lucky to be a fucking one hit wonder.

I can't turn everyone into a Fleetwood Mac fan, but I could sit here and post links to probably 70 distinct original tracks from them, or the Eagles or some of the other greats that are just mind-blowing displays of talent.

And some of these people are 60 or 70 years old and can still sit down with nothing but an acoustic piano or guitar and a microphone and make their shit sound so good it will leave goosebumps on your arm every time.

And you're telling me there is some other band that has come about in the last 20 years of that caliber?

Sorry. No. Just, no.