The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   Trouble with your Access Virus? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   64 bit OS.. (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=30296)

annikk.exe 03.01.2009 11:50 AM

64 bit OS..

I guess this has probably been asked dozens of times before, but I tried the search thingy and it doesn't seem to be working today... So sorry for what is probably a repeat question...

Ok, so, I know it says in various places (and I have been forewarned of this anyway) that Virus Control doesn't work on 64 bit OS's, is there any way to get around this restriction?

I've planned for this anyway but if I can get the software to install under Vista 64 it means I'll be able to start using Virus Control a few weeks earlier. Which would be nice :>

Anyone have a handy workaround for me to try? :>

-Annikk

Logicology 05.01.2009 02:25 AM

No work around to install Virus Control... trust me, I've been trying for a year! You are not alone in your quest to make Virus TI work with 64-bit. Please email Virus support and let them know you need it. The more people who do, the better.

Here's what I do: INstalled Virus TI on another computer on my LAN. Use MIDI Over Lan to control it. Use "Standalone VSTi Host" (Savi Host) to use Virus Control for browsing and selecting patches. However you get audio back to your DAW depends on your setup. But that will get you started.

incubatid 22.01.2009 12:15 AM

here here

Just adding my support/request for a 64-bit driver soon Access... if you're reading this could you consider releasing one soon?
Trying out the Windows 7 beta has really sparked my interest in finally moving to x64.

I understand this is not a trivial issue (as discussed by marc on the VirusTI.com forums previously). I do feel like the time is approaching however. 64-bit support (requires VC to be rewritten as a VST3 plugin no?) is becoming a high priority for many.

Thanks guys :)

annikk.exe 22.01.2009 08:51 AM

Sent to Access Support:

Dear Access Support,

I recently purchased a Virus TI KBD.

Please create a Virus Control that works in 64 bit operating systems, such as Windows XP 64. It is swiftly becoming a requirement for modern musicians to use 64 bit because of the demands of huge sample banks that many of us wish to use.

The main point of moving to 64 bit is so that you can go above 3.2 gig of logically addressed RAM.

These days quite a lot of musicians want to use enormous sample banks - gigabyte pianos, for example - and RAM is a real limiting factor here.

The problem arises because with 32 bit, it's basically 32 ones and zeroes, and these are used to form unique data "addresses" so your computer knows where in the RAM it has stored a particular piece of data. The number of memory locations that can be addressed reaches a swift limit with only 32 binary digits and this results in 32 bit computers/operating systems being physically unable to "see" any more than around 3.2 gigabytes of RAM.

With 64 binary digits (or "bits", as they are commonly known) the amount of RAM that can be addressed exponentially ascends into the realms of the arbitrary.

In an ideal world, my new DAW would be running Windows XP 64bit, and would have 16 gigabytes of RAM. As a DIRECT RESULT of VC's incompatability I have had to underspec it at 4gigs of ram running XP32 - and 0.8 of that will go completely to waste.

Cubase 5 is compatible with 64 bit OS's, so really the ONLY thing holding the upgrade back now is VC. It is a travesty that the Virus is Totally Integrated only with older technologies.

Making VC work in 64 bit OS's should be Access's number one priority for future updates to stay competitive in the market and ease the woes of its existing customers.

-Annikk

incubatid 22.01.2009 09:02 PM

Probably a bit overkill with the description of why 64-bit is advantageous. Don't-cha think if they can design & program the Virus TI they already know what 64-bit operating systems are all about? :p

Good that you went to the effort to email though, cheers :)

reppaz 23.01.2009 01:26 PM

Me too

Everything in my studio ready to go 64bit, except, well you know what. So please Access, here's one more vote for a 64bit driver.

synthetik 29.01.2009 07:12 AM

Me too. It just doesn't feel right to have to use a back up computer to run virus control. The back up comp is crap while the computer I can't install it on is pretty much godly.

annikk.exe 29.01.2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incubatid (Post 286045)
Probably a bit overkill with the description of why 64-bit is advantageous. Don't-cha think if they can design & program the Virus TI they already know what 64-bit operating systems are all about? :p

Yeah, probably. I thought it was better to provide some justification for my request rather than simply blurting it out with no backup.
Plus, I can never resist an opportunity to show my computer knowledge =P I sux.

-Annikk

Purusha 30.01.2009 01:55 PM

Last I heard from Marc (over at virusti.com) on the subject, there seemed to be some confusion at Access over this one.

There's the issue of:

"64 bit drivers, 32 bit plug-in" vs. "64 bit drivers, 64 bit plug-in".

Marc (and Access) couldn't see the point in the former of those.

Personally, I'd take a 32 bit plug-in with drivers for Vista/Win7 64 bit as a first step since 32 bit Cubase potentially gets a fair bit more available memory when running under a 64 bit OS.

Needs doing ASAP and is already late IMO. I'm running Stormdrum 2, and am having to use DFD mode to cut down on memory use.

BTW - also waiting for Powercore drivers. Once these 2 arrive, I'll definitely be going 64 bit.

JordiMayor 02.02.2009 07:29 AM

Running windows 7 with virus 32 bit plugin driver...??

Is anybody out there using this combinatio??

I'm wondering to start using 64 bit OS, and I would like to know if is anybody using that...

Thank you very much!!

NOTE: Access, please, come on 64 bit support... All my system is waiting for your step to go for 64 mode ... :(