The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Unable to mixdown external audio processed through Virus Ti (Cubase 4.5.2) (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=30393)

Cantankerous 20.01.2009 02:42 PM

Unable to mixdown external audio processed through Virus Ti (Cubase 4.5.2)

Hi guys, been having this problem ever since I got my Virus Ti last summer. This was happening in Cubase SX 3.1.1, and thought it would be working in Cubase 4.5.2 which I switched over to and am still using. The problem is still present.

Physically, I have the S/PDIF out of my Echo Audiofire8 going into the S/PDIF in of the Virus Ti. I have the S/PDIF out of the Virus Ti going into the S/PDIF in of the Echo Audiofire8.

In Cubase I would select the output of an audio track (Halion channel), to be played out through the S/PDIF out of my Audiofire8 so that it will go into the S/PDIF in of my Virus Ti for processing. I will then set the output channel on the Virus Ti to play through USB 1+2. I have USB 1+2 in Cubase set to play out of Stereo outs (Analog outs 1 + 2) of my Echoaudiofire8. Any other audio channel is also being played out of the same Analog outs 1 + 2. So far, all is fine. I can hear the filter changes, effects etc of the Virus Ti processing the audio that is being played through the Virus Ti. Everything is being delay compensated as should and I am happy. The problem comes when I go to export my audio to a stereo file WAV mixdown. When I select to mixdown the Analog outs 1 + 2 I get everything being mixdown EXCEPT what is going through the Virus for processing. That doesn't get captured. I find this odd as the processed material is being played back through USB 1 + 2 which is also assigned to the Analog outs 1 + 2 of my Audiofire8 just like everything else. This is really annoying and I have been unable to find a workaround. If I set the audio channel to go straight out of the Analog outs 1 + 2 without being sent to the Virus first via S/PDIF then that track also gets mixed down with everything else. The moment I set the track to first be played through the Virus before being played out of Analog outs 1 + 2 it is no longer mixed down with the rest. The same happens with Atomized audio. Any audio I send into the Virus to be Atomized will not be mixed down as processed if being sent into the Virus via S/PDIF. I am finding processing audio through the Virus absolutely pointless if it can't actually be captured in recording.

I know this was a bit long winded. I hope you guys can figure out what I am getting at here. If you need to know anything else, please do let me know so I can clarify.

I appreciate the read and any suggestions or ideas that you may have.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Hell Yeh 20.01.2009 05:15 PM

I have experienced this same problem and didn't really get a definitive answer from Access support. I also received no word from Cubase regarding this.

I have the exact same setup, but it's used for Atomizer instead. I wanted to be able to have Atomizer processed in real-time rather than recording it to audio first.

When I pull up Cubase' mixer and do the real-time export, I can see the signal going out the S/PDIF output but there is no signal returning from the Virus. So either the signal isn't actually reaching the Virus or the Virus is not playing back the audio.

Leaving everything configured the exact same way, and doing the same thing in Pro Tools works just as it should. So I'm stumped at this point.

Cantankerous 21.01.2009 04:10 PM

Thank you for your reply and confirmation that I am not alone on this particular problem. I was hoping for a resolution, but didn't actually expect one.

I too am noticing the S/PDIF output meters moving when doing a real time export, however am also not noticing any signal returning from the Virus hence why that track is not actually rendered down with the rest. It is strange that you have it working in Pro Tools without issue however. I am only familiar with Cubase and have not tried another sequencer.

I too have heard nothing back from Access even though I wrote them on more than on occasion about this. I have no idea if it is a problem with Cubase itself, or the Virus in the way it integrates and communicates with Cubase. The way it is working, or lack there of however is making the processing of external audio pointless without doing so as seperate audio tracks first. Not very efficient in my eyes.

If you find anything out, please do keep me in mind as I am dying for a resolution to this.

FFoxX 21.01.2009 04:47 PM

The problem is not in virus, it's in cubase. When you export mixdown from master, cubase sends no audio signal to other outputs directly from tracks. You must create external effect with send bus set to S/PDIF, return bus not connected, and insert that external effect (I call it Virus TI FX) to the track that you want to process. Then you can export mixdown from master, cubase will send audio to the Virus through S/PDIF and you will get processed signal from Virus through USB mixed to the master.

Cantankerous 21.01.2009 06:57 PM

Thanks a ton for your reply and your suggestion. It makes total sense. The only problem is, and for whatever reason, I get no such Virus TI FX plugin installed to be used as an insert. The only thing that gets installed is the Virus Ti.dll for the VSTi itself. Under my inserts list there is no plugin relating to the Virus whatsoever. I have noticed this same problem when using the quadro group channel method for using the sidechaining capabilities of the new OS 3.0.0 release. I have installed many times with OS 2.5, 2.7 and 3.0 and that FX plugin is never installed. I am on PC. Any hints on this on FFoxX?

Hell Yeh 22.01.2009 05:26 AM

Something weird that I just noticed, too... since I updated to OS 3.0, it seems as if the inputs on my Virus (both analog and digital) stopped working. I did a S/PDIF loopback test and the ports on my interface appear to be working. And thus, atomizing no longer works.

I've also tried going analog out of my interface to the analog ins of the TI and got the same results. I've tried it with both Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0 and Cubase 4.5.2. Even just trying to go out of iTunes into the TI doesn't yield any results.

I'm on Windows XP Home SP3 and using an M-Audio Profire 2626, with the Virus TI Polar connected to the computer via USB and to the 2626 via S/PDIF in and out.

FFoxX 22.01.2009 09:05 AM

You have to go to VST Connections dialog (F4), External FX tab, click on Add External FX button, type Virus TI FX or whatever you want into Name box, set Send Configuration and Return Configuration to Stereo and click OK. Then expand the new external effect bus node and Send Bus node, and set S/PDIF under Send Bus nodes Device Port column. Before that you must remove the S/PDIF out from Outputs. After that you can insert the new external effect to any audio track.

Cantankerous 22.01.2009 11:23 AM

The ins stop working if you have 3 out/1 in set in the configuration of VC. If set it to either 2 out/0 in, or 3 out/0 in your inputs will work again.

Cantankerous 22.01.2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FFoxX (Post 286002)
You have to go to VST Connections dialog (F4), External FX tab, click on Add External FX button, type Virus TI FX or whatever you want into Name box, set Send Configuration and Return Configuration to Stereo and click OK. Then expand the new external effect bus node and Send Bus node, and set S/PDIF under Send Bus nodes Device Port column. Before that you must remove the S/PDIF out from Outputs. After that you can insert the new external effect to any audio track.

Thanks a ton for this info. I have just spent the past hour fooling with this and have got it work, however not without its fair share of issues. Perhaps you can sort me out with this as well.

You mentioned to setup the external FX as Stereo. I did this and all was fine, however, I like to sequence my drums in Mono using Halion. In Halion I have the drums I want processed being played through a mono track. I have it being sent to the Virus Ti via the mono based external FX I created and I only get sound from the left channel. Adjusting the panning knob on the Cubase channel, and the Virus Ti VC channel does nothing. It is still only being played out of the left channel. Being that S/PDIF is a stereo channel they channels are panned hard left/hard right accordingly and I see no way to pan the left channel to center so that I hear the audio on both channels in mono. It is only plays out of the left channel, hence only left handed sound. I have tried creating the External FX as a mono effect to and it still didn't sound as should. Not like it does when it is just playing out of my audio interface before going through the Virus.

Secondly, is there no way to use Atomizer AND effects at the same time? I had a low cut filter automated on the breaks and that sounded fine. If however, I go into the FX page on VC and select to turn out Atomizer that too will work, but in doing so my cutoff doesn't get played back. It seems I can only use one or the other. Do you know of a way that I can get the filters working WITH the automizer so that both are heard and mixed down accordingly?

I am further than I have ever been on properly exporting external processed audio. I hope to get past these snags and be done with it. I really hope I am not technically limited here.

I really do appreciate all your help.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Hell Yeh 22.01.2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous (Post 286005)
The ins stop working if you have 3 out/1 in set in the configuration of VC. If set it to either 2 out/0 in, or 3 out/0 in your inputs will work again.

Ahh, touche! So 3out/1in should ONLY be used for sidechaining then? If you're vocoding or atomizing, you shouldn't have this enabled?