The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   hypersaw vs. ordinary saw with 8 unison (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=26647)

dr. orange 19.02.2006 11:59 PM

hypersaw vs. ordinary saw with 8 unison

Hi,
I almost decided to buy a Virus C at ebay instead of a Virus TI. There's only one thing that prevents me from doing it, it's the hypersaw. Is there any difference between the ordinary saw with 8 unison and the hypersaw (with 8 saws)?

Could someone record both examples and post it here? That would help me make my decision much...

grs 20.02.2006 05:35 AM

1 voice with hypersaw set at 8 saws will only use one note of polyphony. This will also go through the filter section once and will have no unison spread. An 8 voiced unison saw will have 8 single saws going through 8 filters and be spreadable. Tip, to get a phat 8 saw with hypersaw use 2 note unison with 4 saw hypersaw osc and unison spread that.
So I'd say they are pretty similar, yet the only audible difference is that the amount of filter smearing is less on the hypersaw example. IE cleaner.

ben crosland 20.02.2006 09:47 AM

You're forgetting the sub + sync part of Hypersaw here, which cannot be emulated very well at all by earlier models.

That and the WAVETABLES!!

Hang in there, Doc...

dr. orange 20.02.2006 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben crosland

hehe :o
I listened to some of them when I was in Z?rich, but somehow they didn't impress me. But I gotta stress that I didn't go through all of them, only a couple randomeously...

dr. orange 20.02.2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Hang in there, Doc...

hmm, the sync algorhythm is definitely an argument :!:

MADSTATION 20.02.2006 03:33 PM

Any particular usage for Sync with hypersaw sounds?

I usually use sync more on mono sounds than on fat leads. Maybe I'm missing something.

Tomer=Trance 20.02.2006 05:20 PM

you can creat some very cool screaming sounds using sync,not just "that" clasic Arp or Prophent 1\5 mono sync lead.

Onkel Dunkel 20.02.2006 08:50 PM

I guess that with a little creativity you could route an 8 voiced unison saw with no panspread from one output to the input and though the filters for a hypersaw like effect. Worth a try :roll:

digitalgeist 20.02.2006 09:16 PM

While I can't comment on the TI vs. other Virus models' hypersaw, I own a Roland JP-8000 and the TI completely blows it's "Super Saw" out of the water.

Hell, it blows it off the planet and leaves it someplace past Pluto.

Khazul 21.02.2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr. orange
Quote:

hehe :o
I listened to some of them when I was in Z?rich, but somehow they didn't impress me. But I gotta stress that I didn't go through all of them, only a couple randomeously...

My only winge with the wave tables is I wish Access included a few more instrument sample based waves such as those in the KS-Rack.

Theres alot of harmonic variation in there, but I rarely find any that are useful in a classic VA context in the same way as I find the waves in the KS-Rack useful. The wave tables are very good for doing the standard wave traversal type thing, and messing with the index/sweep you can get alot of timbres out of each. I do like the wave traversal trippy pads you can easily create.

I have a feeling that it will take me quite a while to find a new niche with the virus waves. It took a while for me to really get to appreciate them in the KS-Rack and start experimenting with them alot - now I use them alot.